Wanted Features

Requests for new features, question how to do something etc...

Moderator: lpaatero

gwport

Wanted Features

Post by gwport »

Currently I am missing especially the following features, starting with those that cost me the most time:
- fixing bugs related to clipboard copy commands
- label: provide option to either forget or remember previously used text instead of having to enter the same text once more for each intersection
- allow to select a part of a board where each corner intersection of that part has a stone on
- shortcut for Change Color to Add
- recall the color of Change Color to Add after deleting following moves, even if then no move remains in the current variation or the whole game tree
robert jasiek

Re: Wanted Features

Post by Guest »

gwport wrote: - shortcut for Change Color to Add
No shortcut for now, buit you can click the move after "Add:" to alter next move color.

t.
Lauri
gwport

Post by gwport »

I see that it works for setup stones, not for numbered moves. Anyway, for my taste the click context is overloaded but I understand that this is a feature of GW. (I mentioned a bad side-effect of that earlier: the current failure to allow selecting a part of a board where each corner intersection of that part has a stone on.)

Just for every reader here: I forgot to mention a few other wanted features, which I told you already once much earlier and which have an importance for me similarly low as a shortcut for Change Color to Add: In menu popup or command windows, 1) enable an intuitive TAB sequence accessible by arrow keys, etc. (and make he ESC key meaningful), 2) highlight every editable text so that it will be replaced in full upon entering the text field and starting to write new text without having to delete it before entering the new text, and 3) allow to enter every such text field also by clicking in it while providing (2).

This saves only seconds but more importantly it saves one's nerves when one avoids being faced with not working standard functionality of one's keyboard.

Lauri, thank you for keeping up all your good work!
robert jasiek

Post by Guest »

Some answers:

You can change color of next move to add from upper right clicking small move after "add:".

You can select any area with right mouse. There is explanation about this in help :)

In dialog boxes tab-key should work everywhere. Arrow keys should work in all menus. So I don't see the problem here, could you give bit more detailed example of this problem?

btw, please try to avoid mixing completely different issues in same post, as it makes it really hard for others to follow discussion...

t
Lauri
gwport

Post by gwport »

>>
You can change color of next move to add from upper right clicking small move after "add:".
<<

I am afraid I understand nothing of this. What is "add:"? What is the "small move"? What is "upper right clicking"? Does "of the next move" mean that it is not possible before executing a first move?

>>
You can select any area with right mouse.
<<

No. I cannot. Whenever I try (left click or right click does not make any difference), I do NOT mark an area but I move the stone away from the intersection that I hoped to be the corner from where I start forming a selected area. (If there is no stone on the intersection, then everything is fine. However, usually I do have a stone in all 4 corner intersections of an area to be selected, you know:) )

>>
In dialog boxes tab-key should work everywhere.
<<

I have not checked this carefully now but a few days ago I was under the impression that partly it does not work. One example that deserves an improvement: NewGame popup window: After CustomBoardSize the next TAB position is OK while it should be the x-coordinate field.

>>
Arrow keys should work in all menus.
<<

This is not always the case. In NewGame, arrow keys do not work at all for me. (My keyboard is working ok.)

>>
So I don't see the problem here, could you give bit more detailed example of this problem?
<<

See before. For a complete study of all windows, I need more time. I will report to you later, I hope.

>>
btw, please try to avoid mixing completely different issues in same post, as it makes it really hard for others to follow discussion...
<<

Hm, it is all about suggested improvements, isn't it? :) But if you tell me more precisely how to separate topics, I might as well start a lot of new threads. I don't mind.
robert jasiek

Post by Guest »

gwport wrote:>>
<<

I am afraid I understand nothing of this. What is "add:"? What is the "small move"? What is "upper right clicking"? Does "of the next move" mean that it is not possible before executing a first move?
Please look at upper right area in GOWrite screen. There you see text "add:". After this there is move with number. This move is move that would be added, if you now add move to board. If you click this move using left mouse button, it will alter between different colors.

gwport wrote: >>
You can select any area with right mouse.
<<

No. I cannot. Whenever I try (left click or right click does not make any difference), I do NOT mark an area but I move the stone away from the intersection that I hoped to be the corner from where I start forming a selected area. (If there is no stone on the intersection, then everything is fine. However, usually I do have a stone in all 4 corner intersections of an area to be selected, you know:) )
Are you sure you did try with right mouse button press?

When testing I cannot fail to select area by following sequence of actions:

Press right mouse button down in some position in board.

Move mouse to new position in board.

Releasing mouse button.
gwport wrote:

>>
In dialog boxes tab-key should work everywhere.
<<

I have not checked this carefully now but a few days ago I was under the impression that partly it does not work. One example that deserves an improvement: NewGame popup window: After CustomBoardSize the next TAB position is OK while it should be the x-coordinate field.
Yes, this particular point is very minor usability issue, as said before. I am unlikely to fix it, you are probably only one affected by it...

Do you know any other?
gwport wrote:

>>
Arrow keys should work in all menus.
<<

This is not always the case. In NewGame, arrow keys do not work at all for me. (My keyboard is working ok.)
New game is not menu, it is dialog. And arrows do not work for travelling different fields in dialogs.

This distiction is build into windowing system. I do not see sufficient reason to start to re-engineer that.
gwport wrote:
>>
So I don't see the problem here, could you give bit more detailed example of this problem?
<<

See before. For a complete study of all windows, I need more time. I will report to you later, I hope.

>>
<<

Hm, it is all about suggested improvements, isn't it? :) But if you tell me more precisely how to separate topics, I might as well start a lot of new threads. I don't mind.
If possible try to group things together in some (il-)logical way.
For me it does not make too much difference, but for other people reading posts any answer in convoluted discussion is unevitable lost.

Creating reasonable number of independent issues is fine. Here I ask everyone to use their own judgement to find balance.

regards
Lauri
[/b]
gwport

Post by gwport »

>>
Please look at upper right area in GOWrite screen. There you see text "add:". After this there is move with number. This move is move that would be added, if you now add move to board. If you click this move using left mouse button, it will alter between different colors.
<<

Oh, interesting feature! For my usage, it works at least for the first move. For later moves, normally I cannot use it because I would often like to force successive moves of the same player while the feature presumes alternation. I guess the currently implemented behaviour is the preferred usage of the average user. For users like me, there could be a general option to alter the behaviour, but maybe this would asked too much from the programmer...

>>
Are you sure you did try with [b]right[/b] mouse button press?
<<

Yes. I also tried that. Now I try again. To have it easy, I open a 2x2 and fill it with setup stones. Now it works. Hm. I have to alter my report and say: It works sometimes but sometimes not. Strange. I try a bit more. I begin to realize that things do not depend only on which mouse button is pressed but also on HOW. I need to excercise this so as not to get the context menu when I don't want. AYCS, I am not a dan user of different kinds of clicks for the same mouse button. Oops, there is even a third type of right click action: create a single intersection mark and move that mark. This is not going easy for me.

Is there a chance that you create a new tool button different from and besides the Select / EditEverything tool button - a tool button MarkView? IMO, that would be appropriate in view of the great importance of marking parts of the board as views.

>>
When testing I cannot fail to select area by following sequence of actions:

Press right mouse button down in some position in board.

Move mouse to new position in board.

Releasing mouse button.
<<

Of course, I know this principle sequence that should do it.

>>
you are probably only one affected by it...
<<

I wonder. Am I the only one to create small boards? Does everybody else create parts of the 19x19 even if a small board would be much more fitting? I cannot believe... There is some chance though that I might use small boards the most frequently :)

>>
Do you know any other?
<<

Every theorist likes small boards because study on them is faster and comes to the point more easily than on big boards. However, I do not know if they use GoWrite. OTOH, maybe such problems are just a reason for some not to use GoWirite? After all, it is the first thing a user notices: how easily a small board can be created as New.

In particular, rules theorists, CGT theorists, and tiny board fans love to use small boards. (CGT theorists have even greater demands on possible views of small boards than I have; see typical books on the topic.)

>>
New game is not menu, it is dialog.
<<

Ah, ok, I am not familiar with the correct terms for GUI, it seems. Sorry for creating confusion here.

>>
And arrows do not work for travelling different fields in dialogs.

This distiction is build into windowing system. I do not see sufficient reason to start to re-engineer that.
<<

Ok, I see. TAB, ESC, and click into a field are / would be also fine.

>>
[b]If possible[/b] try to group things together in some (il-)logical way.
For me it does not make too much difference, but for other people reading posts any answer in convoluted discussion is unevitable lost.
<<

Ok, I shall try from the next thread on.

>>
Creating reasonable number of independent issues is fine. Here I ask everyone to use their own judgement to find balance.
<<

Please forgive my necessiety to unlearn my RGG writing style here:)
robert jasiek