Windows Vista 32b

Requests for new features, question how to do something etc...

Moderator: lpaatero

gwport

Windows Vista 32b

Post by gwport »

Since presumably soon I shall buy a PC with Windows Vista 32b, I would like to know whether GW 2.1.x, GW 2.2.x, and JRE 1.6.x are known to work well under the new operating system.
robert jasiek
lpaatero
Go liiton hallitus

Post by lpaatero »

I know gowrite works under (at least) some of vista versions (so many of them...). There should not be difference between 2.2 and 2.1.

For JRE 1.6, I do not know specifics, but I would guess that latest would work, as it is already some time from vista launch.

Off topic, but anyway: GOWrite 64 bit vista status is unclear to me. Current GOWrite uses 32 bit code in startup, so GOWrite should be installed as 32bit application. However WMF (windows metafile) support probably does not work, as java gets executed as 64bit code and WMF code in GOWrite is 32bit.

regards
Lauri
gwport

Re: Windows Vista 32b

Post by gwport »

Ok, here is my first very short impression: GW2.1.24 (DirectX disabled during installation) + JRE6u1 + WindowsVistaUltimate32b + Pivot work together. However, I recommend the following: Just after the JRE6u1 installation, remove the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Name: SunJavaUpdateSched
Typ: REG_SZ
Daten: "E:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\jusched.exe"

(Don't forget to backup your registry before that deletion and to coldstart Windows just after quitting the registry editor.)

It is a redundant process, unless you want automatic reminders to update your JRE.
robert jasiek