Not Terminated Process

Requests for new features, question how to do something etc...

Moderator: lpaatero

gwport

Not Terminated Process

Post by gwport »

I use GW 2.1.24 and Vista Ultimate 32b.

When I close GoWrite, then the process of GoWrite and its child jawaw.exe are still active. Why are they not terminated properly? Is this a bug or can I alter my firewall settings?

There is some relation to the firewall: If I prohibit some kinds of indirect network access, then each instance of GoWrite (and its child) remains active as a process. If I allow all kinds of indirect network access, then only one instance remains active as a process after GoWrite was closed by the user.
robert jasiek
lpaatero
Go liiton hallitus

Re: Not Terminated Process

Post by lpaatero »

Hi,

Actually this behaviour is by design. GOWrite terminates itself within few minutes after last window is closed.

Why this way?

It is extremely common use-case to open SGF file, close it, open next sgf file, close it etc.

If GOWrite would close itself immediately, user would have to wait for GOWrite to start for every single file. And believe me, I did got lots of complaints because of this.

regards
Lauri paatero
gwport

Post by gwport »

Ok, thank you for your answer and reasoning! This makes sense. (Except that one might offer a GUI parameter of how many seconds the process shall wait for termination.)

Do you also know which types of indirect "network" processes (see the other thread) are responsible for non-termination of multiple instances of GoWrite, if some types are prohibited? Currently, I need trial and error to find out that.
robert jasiek
lpaatero
Go liiton hallitus

Post by lpaatero »

gwport wrote:Ok, thank you for your answer and reasoning! This makes sense. (Except that one might offer a GUI parameter of how many seconds the process shall wait for termination.)
Actually there is a way to switch it off for trouble-shooting. "Options" -> "GOwrite development and test" -> "Disable delayed exit".

It does not really make sense to add all of these kinds of parameters as options:
  • * I cannot reasonably test that options would really work (in combination with all other things),
    * Users would hardly understand them, so they would just mix up their system.
    * Documenting all involved factors would be HUGE work, and no-one would read it anyway.
gwport wrote: Do you also know which types of indirect "network" processes (see the other thread) are responsible for non-termination of multiple instances of GoWrite, if some types are prohibited? Currently, I need trial and error to find out that.
I think all of them are involved. Only way to avoid these is to delete (rename) .exe and .dll file from installation directory, and then running GOWrite using

Code: Select all

java -jar GOWrite.jar
But this loses all of Windows integration, so I guess it won't be any good.

regards
Lauri Paatero