Not Found Files and Registry Keys

Requests for new features, question how to do something etc...

Moderator: lpaatero

gwport

Not Found Files and Registry Keys

Post by gwport »

For Vista Ultimate 32b and GW2_2_21, I have tested access a bit. I have noticed that the following files and registry keys were not found. Note that (CI)(OI) means "access also to containers or objects (i.e., folders or files, subkeys or keys' data) further below the tree".

Attempt by GOWrite.exe:

C:\cf_install.exe
C:\FlexBuilder2_Standalone.exe
C:\LSRMConsoleInstall.exe
C:\....._1_2.exe
C:\bin\launch.exe
C:\oui\oraparam.ini
C:\Program Files\app_icon.ico
C:\Program Files\bin\vcafe.exe
C:\Program Files\images\o9i_1.gif

Attempt by javaw.exe:

C:\GOWriteDb.data.db
C:\Users\MyUserName\.accessibility.properties
C:\Windows\Sun\Java\lib\ext (CI)(OI)

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CTF\Compatibility\javaw.exe
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers\C:\Program Files\MyJavaDir\bin\client\jvm.dll
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Compatibility32\javaw
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\DllNXOptions\GOWriteWin.dll
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\DllNXOptions\java.dll
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\javaw.exe\RpcThreadPoolThrottle

So my questions are:

Why does Gowrite or javaw, respectively, attempt to access containers or objects that do not exist? Maybe it cannot always be answered for javaw. However, the attempts by Gowrite should be explained. E.g., are they legacy code of earlier GW versions that has not been deleted and is now useless?
robert jasiek
lpaatero
Go liiton hallitus

Re: Not Found Files and Registry Keys

Post by lpaatero »

Hi,

Currently I do not have good access to vista machine, so I have not verified your findings.

For files accessed by gowrite.exe: I have not implemented such accesses, so I cannot say why they would happen. I can think of several reasons, but only way to know would be to look at stack trace for system calls.

regards
Lauri
gwport

Re: Not Found Files and Registry Keys

Post by gwport »

I can think of only one other reason: legacy code in Java that accidentally becomes active by GoWrite's calls of the Java libraries. Which other reasons can you imagine? It might help me to search if I know what to search for.

How to read the stack trace for system calls?
robert jasiek