Mirror along Board Diagonal

Requests for new features, question how to do something etc...

Moderator: lpaatero

gwport

Mirror along Board Diagonal

Post by gwport »

Currently I find myself repeatedly doing 2 successive translations and guessing which I might need. What I do need is mirroring along a board diagonal. Either that one downwards or that one upwards. So I suggest two new commands:

mirror downward diagonal
mirror upward diagonal
robert jasiek
lpaatero
Go liiton hallitus

Re: Mirror along Board Diagonal

Post by lpaatero »

Hi,

What is reason for this use pattern?

Adding 4 new commands to reduce actions from 2 to 1 does not sound good deal, unless there is some reason why many users would be doing this.

regards
Lauri
gwport

Post by gwport »

For me, 2 new commands would suffice. The first command is
mirror downward diagonal for the whole board
The second command is
mirror upward diagonal for the whole board
(For the sake of completition, 2 more commands for selected areas might be added, then you get 4 new commands.)

I am writing joseki books. Josekis occur in corners. Each joseki diagram is an area for the corner. Depending on sorting the contents by the same initial shape or depending on the layout, I need to mirror along the diagonal. And if I find out that the other layout fits better again, I need to mirror again. Normally I use a fixed corner square area of, say 9x9 intersections. But when there is an extension along the side, a rectangle is asked for. A big square of 11x11 or 13x13 would waste too much space for just one extension stone along the side. So I prefer a rectangle of, e.g., 11x9. If I can fit two diagrams in a layout row, then the rectangle is horizontal. If I can fit three, then vertical is better. Usually I do not know in advance the number of diagrams, so I need to mirror according to my current layout information. Since I put all josekis in the same corner of the board, rotating the board by 90 degrees does not help me. I need to mirror along the corner diagonal.

I can easily imagine that other authors do similar things and therefore need the commands, too.
robert jasiek
gwport

Post by gwport »

Another thought: You argue that it is "only 2 instead of 1 menu commands". Seems like a small issue for you. For not highlighting the board sizes of a new board to be opened you said something similar. But the problems are:

1) Such seemingly minor editing problems in GW and the text editor cumulate. Each alone may cost only seconds. But all those dozen of "minor" problems each recurring thousands of times amount to days of additional work per written book. This is a lot.

2) Everything that should just work but does not costs a lot of nerves and makes the user angry. E.g., currently there are I think 10 mirror and rotate commands, But the one I would need in 90% of all cases is not there. I do not have the patience not to become angry every time...

Just to be sure, GW is the (maybe even by far) best Go diagram editor, and you deserve lots of thanks for it! But I just can't help it - some things are not as user-friendly as they could be.
robert jasiek