Remembered Windows Size

Requests for new features, question how to do something etc...

Moderator: lpaatero

gwport

Remembered Windows Size

Post by gwport »

Using GW2.2, I opened GW once and it had the right windows size (I maximize the Window by dragging it to the srceen edges since the desktop symbol Maximize function does not work, presumably because of JRE), then I opened a second instance of GW and it had a small windows size, then I closed the second instance, then I closed the first instance, then I opened GW again and it the same wrong, small windows size as of my previous second instance. IOW, GW does not remember the windows size of the last open instance properly if more than once instance had been open temporarily.

This bug should be fixed. The last open windows size should always be used and should be used for each opened instance of GW.
robert jasiek
lpaatero
Go liiton hallitus

Re: Remembered Windows Size

Post by lpaatero »

hmm, your environment seems to be broken.

GOWrite should have only one process; so you should not get second process, but only second window.

Most of gowrite work with two processes, but not everything: game searches and preference storage do not work well with multiple gowrite processes. In particular file-based preference storing fails with multiple processes, as continuous storage of preferences is undesirable.

If only one process is used, second window should be of correct size when created.

regards
Lauri
gwport

Post by gwport »

Last time I did not watch the processes. Now I have watched them in ProcessExplorer. Whenever a further GW instance is started using, e.g., the desktop symbol, it is a new Gowrite.exe process (without javaw.exe as a child though). After a few seconds, that additional process is killed and the GW window is transfered to the first launched GW instance.

This behaviour differs from notepad.exe; there each new instance remains a separate process.

Why should something be wrong with my system? It just looks as if GW and/or JRE is programmed differently from Notepad.

Today the windows size behaviour differed: All GW instances are started maximized. Maybe restarting Windows (in the meantime) after setting the desktop link to StartMaximized is the reason. However, starting a second (or further) GW instance still does have a bad impact: The GW window partition's vertical bar between board and comment area on the right moved to a different position. I had to close all GW windows, open exactly one GW window, set the vertical bar position, close GW, and then open exactly one GW window to restore the vertical bar to my favourite position.

Looks like a (design) bug as the cause. Maybe GW remembers windows position settings from the last opened window while it should remember it from the last still open window...? Maybe this is done by accidental code design when inheriting the second (or further) GW window to the first?
robert jasiek
lpaatero
Go liiton hallitus

Post by lpaatero »

Using GW2.2, I opened GW once and it had the right windows size (...), then I opened a second instance of GW and it had a small windows size...
This behaviour should not happen normally; it indicates problems in IPC. But if booting windows removed the problem, fine.

It seems that vertical bar position is saved only when window is closed, not when position is changed. Clear minor bug.

regards
Lauri
gwport

Post by gwport »

Why should it be an IPC problem? I would suspect a programming code problem. Or are all such things for JRE done by JRE on its own? In that case, the programmed code should override it. (Well, in principle. I do not have any idea of how little or much programming effort might be required.)
robert jasiek
lpaatero
Go liiton hallitus

Post by lpaatero »

Problem was resolved by booting, so there is no clear bug to fix. So do you seriously expect me to start explaining reasoning? It would be just waste of my time.

Again, please refrain from r.g.g. -style argumentation here, I just ignore threads where present.

regards
Lauri
gwport

Post by gwport »

I know about "one thread one topic" but beyond that I am not sure what you mean by not RGG style discussion.
robert jasiek
lpaatero
Go liiton hallitus

Post by lpaatero »

oh, you have not noted how argumentations continue near-endlessly in RGG? well, at least continued when it was more popular that it is now. You almost always seem to find something to continue argumentation in each thread.

Also it is quite funny (and arrogant) to off-handedly "know better" things that I have well thought out. Also very typical way RGG works. Of course I could be wrong, but you do not came even close to pointing out anything new.

Sommary: This forum is for helping users to use GOWrite and let me know any problems they have. If you cannot see difference between this and argumentation you do, then please limit your posts.

regards
Lauri
gwport

Post by gwport »

I see. I didn't know that opinion-driven discussions (about GW) are not that welcome here; ok, now I know.
robert jasiek