Tenuki

Requests for new features, question how to do something etc...

Moderator: lpaatero

gwport

Tenuki

Post by gwport »

Instead of moves called "pass.", I sometimes need to call the moves "play elsewhere", "tenuki", "ko-pass" etc. Is it possible to set, specifically for each particular exception move that is SGF-represented as a "pass", a comment text of one's own choice? Otherwise it would be very nice if that feature were added and preferably as soon as possible. (I need it in my current book project.)
robert jasiek
lpaatero
Go liiton hallitus

Re: Tenuki

Post by lpaatero »

Hi,

Currently text is fixed (eg translation-dependent).
Making text editable (for individual moves) is not easy right now. I will look at improving this in future.

regards
Lauri
lpaatero
Go liiton hallitus

Post by lpaatero »

hmm, after thinking a second, I found work-around to get "Tenuki" text:
  • * Do not put tenuki-move into SGF.
    * Enable "missing move" exceptions in Board options -> Detailed Exception Options for diagrams.
    * Alter English translation for "missing move" exception to "Tenuki".
Translation editing is documented in web (http://gowrite.net/help/en/tech/translation.html); you should alter EXCEPTION_MOVE_MISSING -named string in SgfText.

As missing move exception is not normally used in diagrams anyway, this should not make any

regards
Lauri
gwport

Post by gwport »

My current book (Vol. 2) is already in print, but if I need it for Volume 3, I will try the workarounds if then the text is still fixed instead of dynamic.

Dynamic exception text is probably my most needed missing reagular GW feature at the moment. Therefore I greatly appreciate your intention to provide it when you find the necessary time.

I wonder how the problem can be solved on the SGF code level. Which SGF property can be used for that purpose? Or would it make sense to invent a private GW property? Maybe it suffices to enclose the exception texts in escape sequence brackets and put it in the C[] at that B[tt] or W[tt] move's SGF node which shall get a particular exception comment. (Just as an idea; I am sure there are lots of other technical solutions and some might be more easily interpreted by third party SGF editors.)
robert jasiek