Version 3.0.12 for Mac?

GOWrite development versions and discussion relating to them

Moderator: lpaatero

Chefiori

Version 3.0.12 for Mac?

Post by Chefiori »

Hi, developers, I have been using GoWrite 2 for Mac for a while now on my personal MacBook Pro as well as GoWrite 2 for Windows in my college office. I notice that there is an update to the Windows version & other operating systems to 3.0.12 but not for the Mac. When will the Mac version be updated or it is already an abandoned version? Thank you.
lpaatero
Go liiton hallitus

Re: Version 3.0.12 for Mac?

Post by lpaatero »

Hi,

It is possible to download and unzip the ZIP version of GOWrite. GOWrite should be possible to run by clicking GOWrite.jar file. However this lacks better MAC integration present in MAC-style application package.

Unfortunately I do not have means to create mac package anymore.
My oooold mac mini is not anymore in use, and I do not have access to any macs.
Also it seems there are no cross-platform tools to create mac application in other platforms.

If anyone is interested in helping in this, it would be nice.

regards
Lauri
Chefiori

Post by Chefiori »

Dear Lauri, Hi, thanks for the reply. I have downloaded the ZIP version of GoWrite 2 & will try to run it later when I get access to my MacBook Pro. About creating the Mac package, what do you need in order to create one? If they are quite easy to compile (because I'm not a programmer), I would love to help & contribute. Just need the detailed instructions. Thank you very much.
lpaatero
Go liiton hallitus

Post by lpaatero »

Hi,

I think one should be comfortable packaging java application using command line or xcode in order to help.

For background, Apple documentation is available at https://developer.apple.com/library/con ... yment.html. There chapter about "OS X Application Bundles" is relevant one.

It might be possible to start from gowrite 2.3 application and just make changes to it. However there will be some changes needed, as now there are more supporting JAR files in gowrite 3.0.

There are several changes needed to make app to work with gowrite 3.0:
  • * Update GOWrite.jar; Include all JAR files in gowrite zip-file /lib directory.
    * Above jars should be copied to project and include into classpath, and swing-layout.jar should be removed from classpath
    * Update preferred and minimum java versions to java 1.7
    * Update gowrite version information in plist
    * Possibly need to resolve any unexpected issues.
For thumbnailer, there are more changes (some programming required), it must be build using xcode:
  • * Update GOWrite.jar; Include all JAR files in gowrite zip-file /lib directory.
    * Modify code below "// Find path to GOWrite.jar" to include all jars included in previous step
    * Update preferred java version in gowritejni.c ("CFStringRef targetJVM = CFSTR("1.5");") to 1.7
    * It is quite likely that there are some unexpected issues, as this is bit more involved project.
However if old thumbnailer works, it might be unnecessary to update it at all.

Old gowrite 2.3.9 xcode project for both app and thumbnailer are available at http://gowrite.net/download/mac_gowrite_2_3_9.zip.

If you (or anyone else) wants to attempt this, please notify me. I am happy to help as far as I can.

regards
Lauri

ps version 3.0.14 contains some new libraries, so it would be better to use it (or later version), not 3.0.12.